Solar One’s Green Workforce Training Program offers green hard skills technical training and industry recognized certifications tied to green building operations and maintenance, energy efficiency, and solar. We deliver our courses in active, hands-on formats at our state-of-the-art training lab located in Queens.
How Solar One is Building Sustainability
For nearly a decade, Solar One’s Green Workforce training program has been providing under- and unemployed individuals from all five boroughs with certifications and hands-on knowledge in construction, building operations, and sustainability. Now, with New York’s increasingly tough limits on greenhouse gas emissions from buildings, demand for a “green” workforce is at an all-time high. How is Solar One preparing its students to rise to this occasion?
Workforce Development and Strategic Partnerships
Solar One offers training courses and certifications for participants of workforce development organizations. Through our partnerships with over a dozen workforce organizations, we have trained more than 3,000 unemployed and underemployed individuals for jobs in green construction, green building operations and maintenance, and solar installation. If you’re part of another organization interested in a partnership or training opportunities with Solar One, please contact Max Levitzke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is info on our classes. If you’re interested in learning more please complete the form at the bottom.
You can also download our full course catalog here.
- Green Building Operations and Maintenance
- Basic Green Construction (Electrical, Plumbing, Carpentry)
- Solar Panel Installation
Certification Training and Testing
Solar One’s curriculum is accredited via the New York State Dept. of Labor’s Eligible Training Provider List (ETPL). The Green Workforce team is also a BPI-approved Testing Center, NABCEP PV Associate provider, Urban Green Council GPRO instructional provider, NYC Dept. of Buildings Site Safety Training provider, and US EPA RRP accredited. We offer certification testing and/or training in:
- GPRO Operations and Maintenance
- GPRO Electrical
- Building Performance Institute Multifamily Building Operator
- Building Performance Institute Multifamily Building Analyst (testing only)
- NABCEP PV Associate
- US EPA Renovation, Repair and Painting (Lead)
- OSHA 30
- NYC Dept. of Buildings Site Safety Training
- 8-hour Fall Prevention and 2-hour Drug & Alcohol Awareness
- This certification is offered in combination with a OSHA 30 course to make students compliant with minimum 40 hours of approved safety training required by NYC Local Law 196
- This course is not available for open enrollment to the public
Training for Building Staff & Property Managers
Solar One offers technical training for building staff and property managers. Whether you are a superintendent, building maintainer, property or facility manager, or contractor, the courses and certifications we offer will help you make informed decisions about how to operate your buildings efficiently and safely. Going green not only results in energy savings, but will also reduce your heating and electricity costs, make tenant living and working environments healthier, and reduce the impact on the environment.
Solar One offers training that will prepare you to sit for the:
- GPRO Operations & Maintenance certificate
- BPI Multifamily Building Operator certification
“Solar One’s Green Building O&M training helped me see my building in a whole new way. If you’re serious about saving energy and improving operations, you and your staff should take this course!”
–Joe De Jesus, Building Maintenance Supervisor, Ridgewood-Bushwick Management