When Solar 2 Is Built
When built, Solar 2 will house Solar One’s fast-growing K-12 education, green workforce, outreach and arts programs – all low- or no-cost for the public. Inside, Solar 2 will feature offices and meeting rooms, a first floor exhibit hall with permanent and changing displays on local, regional and global environmental topics and sustainable design. Solar 2’s solar photovoltaic roof will be visible from the FDR Drive, demonstrating our city’s formidable solar potential and serving as a highly visible reminder that we can power our buildings – and our whole city – from renewable sources.
Solar 2 will also showcase dozens of cutting-edge clean technology systems and features and will include a visible mechanicals room for students, professionals, academics, engineers, and other visitors to learn more about clean heating, power, and water systems.
- Net-zero energy and water use.
- Rooftop solar power array visible from the FDR Drive.
- Geothermal heating systems.
- Rain Garden, wetlands and community access to the East River.
- Roof garden.
- Rainwater catchment and reuse system.
- Vertically-integrated greenhouse growing hydroponic vegetables.
- Green Theater with covered stage and outdoor seating.